With 4 new YMCA Centres of Community opening in the next few years, there’s a good chance a YMCA is coming to a neighbourhood near you. You might have noticed that we’ve been partnering with others in your community to bring a new centre of community services to the neighbourhood. And, as your future neighbour, we’d like you to know a bit more about the Y, and we’d like to get to know you, too.
When we open our new centre, we’d like it to feel like a second home to you. You might take a fitness class and maybe you’ll use the Y’s child care services. Maybe some of your neighbours will go to an employment training program at the centre and then grab a coffee with their favourite volunteer spin instructor. Fun fact: the majority of our fitness instructors are volunteers! Maybe you’ll take drop-in swim lessons or come to family art night where you can connect with other parents in the community.
Our new centre will be a place for everyone. Here’s how:
- Seniors will have the opportunity to socialize and grow stronger. Our YMCA Healthy Heart program will help them stay active and healthy.
- New immigrant families will be welcomed with employment training programs, citizenship preparation, English language support, and fitness classes that encourage language practice and exploring Canadian culture.
- Youth will build confidence, leadership abilities and life skills in our supportive education programs or in our cross-Canada exchange. Inspired youth will be encouraged to use their new leadership skills to create more social change in the community!
- Teens and young adults will be supported with mental wellness programs that encourage physical activity to treat mental health problems.
- Everyone is welcome and we offer financial assistance with program costs so that money isn’t a barrier to anyone at the Y.
When your Y opens, the neighbourhood you know and love is going to become even more healthier, connected, supported and resilient. We’d love you to be a part of our new home and to help us build a stronger community together.